The Eye Bank Technical Advisory Group (EBTAG) consisting of representatives of the European Eye Bank Association, Eye Bank Association of America, Eye Bank Association of Australia and New Zealand, Eye Bank Association of India, Asia Cornea Society, and the Pan-American Association of Eye Banks, have developed a global standard terminology to describe ocular tissue for transplant.
The group began meeting early in 2010 and agreed to the following goals:
- Create and publish a nomenclature that will be endorsed by the professional groups represented;
- Review the coding of this terminology within ISBT 128;
- Agree on standardized labeling;
- Determine if there is need for a consensus standard for ocular tissue;
- Determine the mechanism for on-going maintenance of the terminology; and
- Promote the use of ISBT 128 for ocular tissues.
Summary of Recent Activity
EBTAG discussed the coding of ocular tissues that are considered non-clinical. As a result, the group approved a proposal to add the following:
- Class name OCULAR TISSUE, NON-CLINICAL
- Attributes Iris, Lens, Posterior part, Retina, Aqueous humor, Vitreous humor, and Optic nerve in a new “Type of Non-Clinical Tissue” Attribute Group
It was also decided that ISBT 128 codes would not encode the product’s quarantine status with an Attribute.
ICCBBA reported to have received registrations from countries in Europe and Asia and a registration from South Africa. It was also discussed how to best introduce ISBT 128 labeling to products in South America and India.
ISBT 128 Bar coding on internationally shipped products must be implemented by January 1, 2017.
EBTAG Member List
Representatives and Technical Experts
- Armitage, John – Chair
- Basak, Samar K.
- Dahl, Patricia
- DeMatteo, Jennifer
- Lotherington, Ken
- Madden, Peter
- Mannis, Mark
- Mathes, Kristin
- Moffatt, Louise
- Ponzin, Diego
- Tan, Donald
- McClure, Michelle
- Cetinkaya, Sukru
- Gilbert, Michelle
- Kling, John
- Kriozere, Jeff
- O’Keefe, Michael
- Pereda, Pedro
- Steiner, David
- Uhrynowska-Tyszkiewicz, Izabela