The Europe, Middle East, and Africa Technical Advisory Group (EMATAG) expanded its reach to Africa in 2011. The group, formally known as the Middle East and Europe Technical Advisory Group (MEETAG), originally met in 1997 as ETAG (European Technical Advisory Group).
The purpose of the group is to:
- Enhance and expand the ISBT 128 Standard for use with blood components in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa
- Provide advice and support to facilities introducing the ISBT 128 Standard
- Generate, review, and comment upon proposed changes to the ISBT 128 Standard and its supporting documents
- Prepare educational material and tools to support the implementation of ISBT 128
- Promote the adoption of the ISBT 128 Standard in this region as well as globally